EC Chairperson Justice Simon Byabakama.
The Electoral Commission has set August 18 as the date for the Busongora South Constituency By-elections.
The seat fell vacant after the Court of Appeal nullified the election of NRM’s Gideon Mujungu Thembo last month on grounds that the elections were marred by gross irregularities.
Three Justices of Appeal led by Fredrick Egonda Ntende overturned the decision of the High Court in Fort Portal and concurred with Thembo’s rival Jackson Mbaju Kathika that there were irregularities at Katunguru Primary school, Katunguru Market, and Busunga Primary school polling stations in Kasese District.
The Electoral Commission Chairperson Justice Simon Byabakama on Saturday said that the commission has approved the electoral program for the by-election and has held meetings with different stakeholders including local council chairpersons from the 140 villages, and aspirants among others to discuss strategies aimed at ensuring a smooth, peaceful electoral process.
According to the EC, the registration of new voters will end Tuesday, and the display of the voters’ register starts on July 20-29.
Nomination of candidates will be conducted between 8th and 9th August and then campaigns will start on August 10 to 16.
Byabakama said that the EC will work with the police to ensure there is total compliance with the laws and regulations throughout the exercise.
However, some of the aspirants and political leaders in the district accused the police and the army of interfering with the electoral process.
Former Busongora South aspirant David Mulindwa and Kasese District FDC Chairperson Saulo Maate argued that recently Mujungu was allowed to make a procession and speak to his supporters after the court ruling but attempts by Mbaju to meet his supporters were frustrated by police.
Byamukama however appealed to the police to establish working relationships with all parties involved in the exercise.