Wednesday, May 22, 2024
Home > Analysis & Opinions > Uganda’s Largest Banks By Assets Named
Analysis & OpinionsBankingFeatured

Uganda’s Largest Banks By Assets Named

Crane Bank

Banking industry assets increased to Shs26.5 trillion in 2017, up from Shs22.5trillion recorded in 2016, Business Focus exclusively reports.

According to 2017 financial statements for all the 24 banks obtained by this site, Stanbic is Uganda’s largest bank by assets. Its assets increased to Shs5.4 trillion in 2017, up from Shs4.6 trillion in 2016, representing 17.39%. The bank holds a controlling 20.34% of the total industry assets market share.

After acquiring Crane Bank, dfcu Bank jumped from the 5th position to become the 2nd largest bank by assets in 2017. Its assets increased to Shs3 trillion in 2017, up from Shs1.7 trillion in 2016. The impressive growth is attributed to assets acquired from Crane Bank.

In 3rd position is Standard Chartered. Its assets reduced to Shs2.8 trillion in 2017 from Shs2.94 trillion in 2016.

Centenary Bank’s assets increased to Shs2.7 trillion in 2017, up from Shs2.3 trillion recorded in 2016, making it the 4th largest bank by assets.

Barclays is the 5th largest bank by assets. Its assets increased to Shs2.47 trillion in 2017, up from Shs1.9 trillion in 2016. Surprisingly, the five banks control 61.66% of the total assets industry market share.

Other banks with huge assets in ascending order are; DTB (Shs1.54 trillion), Bank of Baroda (1.53trillion), Equity Bank (Shs1 trillion), Citibank (Shs928.2bn) and Bank of Africa (Shs756.36bn).

These top 10 banks with largest assets control 83.34% of industry assets market share. The remaining 14 banks share a paltry 16.66%.

From the bottom, ABC leads. It has the lowest assets in the industry (Shs58bn). Cairo International comes 2nd in as far as banks with lowest assets are concerned. Its assets increased to Shs117.3bn in 2017, up from Shs96bn. Other banks with limited assets include Commercial Bank of Africa (Shs148.3bn), Bank of India (Shs168.9bn) and Finance Trust Bank (Shs178.7bn).



Taddewo William Senyonyi
William is a seasoned business and finance journalist. He is also an agripreneur and a coffee enthusiast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *