The desert locusts that invaded Kenya early last month on Sunday finally crossed to Uganda.
Government says at least its technical team on the ground headed by the Principal Agriculture Officer, David Kutunga witnessed the grand entry of locusts in Amudat District.
An emergency meeting chaired by the Prime Minister, Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda on Sunday evening agreed on the following steps to fight the locusts;
(1) Uganda People’s Defense Forces (UPDF) to assist the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) on ground spraying. The team is on standby at Olilim Baracks.
(2) The Disaster Department of the Office of the Prime Minister has delivered to Olilim Baracks the following to facilitate the spray teams: food (15 tons of rice, 15 tons of Maize flour); Other logistics (tents, sleeping mats, water containers, cooking and utensils)
(3) Uganda Wildlife Authority has assembled 85 personnel ready for deployment
(4) The Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries has deployed surveillance teams in Moroto and Amudat
(5) MAAIF is rapidly delivering to Karamoja 100 backheld motorised spray pumps and 200 manual hand spray pumps as more pumps get procured
(6) MAAIF the lead institution has processed funds for procurement of other logistics and other foods (beans, meat, vegetables etc), protective gears etc.
(7) Two hired air spray planes will be in Moroto as soon as possible.
(8) Hon Minister MAAIF, Hon Minister for East African Community Affairs and Hon Minister for Disaster Preparedness today Sunday 9th traveled to meet their Kenya counter parts in Nairobi on cross border spraying agreements
(9) Motorized sprayers mounted on pickups and tractors are being mobilized to move to Karamoja Sub-region as soon as possible.