More questions continue to be asked about the expenditure by the Land Probe Commission headed by Justice Catherine Bamugemereire.
Local media is reporting that the commission is on the verge of receiving an extra Shs2bn from the Ministry of Finance to wind up its work. The commission is accused of lavish spending among others
The Daily Monitor last week reported that the commission had spent a colossal sum of shs13bn during its work.
The commission also demanded an extra shs7bn to wind up its work.
Legislators this week threatened to block the supplementary cash argue that they wanted the commission to provide accountability for the money used.
Sources in the Ministry of Lands say the Finance Ministry is currently scrutinizing expenditure of the Shs7.8bn by the commission.
The seven-member commission was established to inquire into the effectiveness of law, policies and processes of land acquisition, land administration, land management and land registration in Uganda.
Justice Bamugemereire said recently that the commission had found dirt on majorly soldiers, government officials and well connected businessmen who have used their offices and influence to cause massive land evictions.
The findings, according to the commission, came from inquiries conducted in districts including; Mubende, Jinja, Luwero, Hoima, Wakiso, Nakaseke, Mukono among others.
In November last year, President Yoweri Museveni extended its mandate to six more months.
In an amendment of legal notice No. 2 of 2017 dated November 5, Museveni said: “This notice shall be deemed to have come into force on the 10th day of November 2017…The commission shall execute its mandate under this notice, within six months from the date of publication of this notice.