Uganda has registered 32 new cases of coronavirus bringing the country’s total to 489.
On Monday evening, President Yoweri Museveni announced a further easing of the lock down.
Below is a summary of the president’s Address on Lockdown (1st June 2020)
- Public transport is now allowed but will carry half of normal capacity including the driver and the conductor with effect from 4th June 2020.
*All passengers, driver and passengers must wear face masks
- Brokers, taxi/bus touts, hawkers are not allowed in the public transport parks/ terminals.
- Public and private transport is still banned in the border districts.
- Bodabodas are still banned from carrying passengers until further notice.
- Bars, saunas, salons, gyms, public swimming are still banned for another 21days.
- International borders and airports will remain closed until further notice.
- The School going candidates /finalists total to a number of 1.4m and Govt doesn’t have the resources to test the numbers for COVID19 every 2 weeks, in addition , day schoolers, school workers and teachers are still high risk because they oscillate between home and the school premises .
*Therefore, Schools will remain closed for the candidate learners for one more month.
*Govt to pursue distance learning methodology (TVs, Radio, etc) for learners during the lockdown.
- Curfew will continue from 7.00 pm-6.30am.
- Churches and mosques will remain closed.
- Political and cultural public gatherings are still probihited until further notice.
- Shopping malls will be allowed to open starting 4th June 2020.
- Govt issued face masks will be ready for public distribution from 10th June 2020.
*Border districts will be the first priority for face mask distribution.
- The biggest number of cases are South Sudan Truck drivers
- Four thousand (4,000) persons were arrested during the lockdown, there cases are going to reviewed ASAP and early release from jail may be considered.