Government has revealed that Dr. Aggrey Kiyingi is behind ‘empty’ security threats of armed attacks on Uganda that have been circulating lately.
This follows the security threats which circulated on social media platforms of an “armed attack” on Uganda that was to take place between 16th and 17th July 2018.
In a joint ministerial statement by ministers of Internal Affairs, Defense and Veteran Affairs and Security on the state of security in the country, government says Uganda is calm and stable. The statement was signed by General Odongo JeJe, Minister for internal Affairs, Adolf Mwesige, Minister for Defence & Veteran Affairs and Gen Elly Tumwiine, Minister for Security.
“We by now all realize that these were mere empty threats by elements that do not wish our country well and should therefore be treated with the contempt they deserve. Obviously, this could never have happened in Uganda given our robust capabilities and readiness we have built to counter and deter any threats. I now wish to take this opportunity to sound it very clearly that such media related abuse contravenes the law, to wit, The Computer Misuse Act of 2011,” the statement read to Parliament on Thursday says.
It adds: “Our security agencies have appropriately analyzed the contents and source of the same and established that it came from Dr. Aggrey Kiyingi. It may be recalled that Dr. Aggrey Kiyingi, currently living in Australia has cases to answer in our courts of law here in Uganda. We shall continue to work closely with Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) to monitor such messages that cause fear and discomfort to our population. Five cases have to date been investigated for computer misuse and abuse and suspects have been taken to court.”
The ministers caution all citizens in Uganda and abroad especially young people, who easily get excited into crafting, sending and forwarding irresponsible messages to stop it forthwith.
”The law is very clear on culpability; once you receive and send to others “as received” you will be investigated and prosecuted accordingly,” the statement says.
It should be noted that in the course of debate in the August House last week concerns about the state of security in our country were raised. The Speaker therefore determined that the said Ministers should make a joint statement to the house explaining the situation.
“Today we are happy to report to you that the country is generally calm and stable,” the ministers said, adding that Uganda’s borders remain safe and secure with no major incidents to report.
“I want to particularly applaud His Excellency the President of the Republic of Uganda for his tireless efforts in ensuring Regional Peace and Stability especially in South Sudan. Security in South Sudan has a bearing especially on our Northern Frontier. Regarding Somalia, that country has continued to make significant progress thanks to the efforts of our forces and those from fraternal Troops Contributing Countries (TCCs) under AMISOM. This security provided has allowed the political process to unfold and UPDF will soon be deploying Battle Group XXV and United Nations Guard Unit V to sustain this effort,” said the statement.